Dr. Premanand Ponoth
Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon – The Karen Hospital, Nairobi
MS, Mch, FIACS, FICS, FCCP, FICA – 25 plus years of experience.
- Dr. Premanand has been a Cardiac surgeon for more than 25 years.
- He has performed more than 15,000 surgeries since he started practicing.
- At The Karen Hospital, he has been able to perform over 150 open heart operations since he joined the institution.
- Premanand performs CABG surgeries on “beating hearts” which means, the heart is not stopped. In other similar operations, the heart is usually stopped and then a heart-lung machine takes over the functions of the heart.
- He attended a Fellowship in heart and lung transplantation at the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland OR, USA.
- Dr. Premanand holds a Bachelor of Medicines-Bachelor of Surgery, Nalanda Medical College, Patna Bihar, India.
- He has served in reputed cardiothoracic centres in the USA, Australia and New Zealand. He has also done a fellowship in heart and lung transplantation at the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, United States.
- He has attended numerous international conferences and written numerous articles on cardiac and other health topics.