Dr. Betty Gikonyo
Founder and Chair of The Karen Hospital, Nairobi.
MBChB, MMED (Paed), 40 years of experience.
- She is a renowned paediatric cardiologist in Kenya. She is both an interventional and non-invasive paediatric cardiologist.
- She was the first Kenyan female cardiologist and has been instrumental in mentoring and training of majority paediatric cardiologists in the country.
- Dr. Betty is a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Paediatric Cardiology, University of Minnesota, USA and has a Masters of Medicine in Paediatrics, (University of Nairobi), Kenya, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (University of Nairobi) and a Diploma in Tropical Medicine from the same university.
- Dr. Betty Gikonyo is also a professional member of the Kenya Medical Association, Kenya Cardiac Society, Kenya Paediatric Association, Kenya Medical Women Association, Founding chair and member of University of Nairobi Alumni Association.
- She was also the Chairperson of Nairobi Health Management Board, a position she held for 7 years and a member of the University Council for 14 years which saw her rise to the role of deputy chair of the University of Nairobi Council.
- She is the recipient of two Presidential awards-MBS & SS. She won the CEO Global Limited East Africa Regional Awards- Most influential Woman (Medical category) in 2016. She has also penned her own autobiography titled, “The Girl who dared to dream.”